Friday, June 26, 2009

Comenting on Michael Jackson

I do not want to speak ill of the dead. Michael Jackson is gone and will no longer grace us with his music, what there was of it. However, the media in its quest for the story of the hour to trump everything else, has chosen to elevate him above all the other significant issues of the day, devoting an unprecedented ammount of coverage to his passing. I don't think he seserves the kind of worship he is getting. I commented as such and I recently received this reply in another blog which I will quote here.

I just happen to disagree with everything you just said. He did try to do the Neverland thin, but greedy bastards ruined that. He drastically impacted the music industry, and practically started Music Videos. I think that the media spends too much time reporting war and bad shit. Turn the channel to CNN is you want war coverage. His earning power was only exceeded by a few like Gates. I think him a much more moral entertainer than most. Odd yes, but an overall good guy.
I'd love to turn to CNN, but all they have is MICHAEL JACKSON coverage!

He ruined Neverland all on his own. He died almost a half BILLION, thats with a "b" in debt. He was his own worst enemy.

I just want to say that we have a lot of problems in the world. We have situations in this country that are being ignored because this obsession we have with celebrity is hogging the airwaves. I can't watch the news lately except for public television because the corporate media in this country refuses in many cases to give a fair shake to many issues that are important. Health Care, the declining standard of living, International affairs, scientific research, the dominance of business and its interference in local politics, our crumbling infrastructure, the reduction of education standards, well, I could go on and on. There are umpteen television shows devoted to the literal worship of celebrity in this country on the mainstream media, the over the air shows. Yet there is not one show devoted to bringing science into the living room on over the air television. You must go to Public Television for that. Jackson's every move was photographed and document on an unprecedented scale. While I would agree that he had a significant impact on the music industry, his bizarre behavior on stage and in his personal life really turn me off. The crotch grabbing and the pedophilia he exhibited alone really turned me off to him. I am proud to say I do not have a single one of his CD's or other media in my collection. As far as record sales go, the Eagles Greatest hits album beats Thriller as the most sold album of all time.

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTop100

If he was such a great artist, he would have a lot more albums in the list yet Thriller is his one hit wonder in that regard. There are many artists that have a much greater influence on the industry in terms of overall record sales and overall impact than Michael Jackson. He only has a celebrity worshiping public that elevates him above such people as The Eagles, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, AC-DC, Garth Brooks, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, and the like.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am interested in CNG vehicles because they are good for the environment and aren't powered by dead Marines. I still have a little hope for the world. Read the musings and enjoy.