Wednesday, April 21, 2010

For my computer firends who may not be with us

If you have McAfee as your antivirus program you are most likely not with us.... McAfee's update today (21 April) introduced a Windows error by misidentifying a legitimate Windows file as a virus. It triggered an ongoing reboot cycle which shut down systems all over the world. It closed hospitals in Rhode Island, paralyzed Law enforcement in Kentucky, and the National Science Foundation (!) lost computer access among other things, Intel was also affected.

While McAfee is attempting to put out an update that will not have the suspect files, the damage is already done. I will definitely not be putting McAfee on any systems I own anymore. Its standard on Acer systems, and I had an Acer for a while. The damage to their reputation is likely to be long lasting.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am interested in CNG vehicles because they are good for the environment and aren't powered by dead Marines. I still have a little hope for the world. Read the musings and enjoy.