Saturday, May 3, 2008

AL-9000

Well I got my "new" computer. FINALLY got Windows XP to work on it. I had to take it to the shop and it turned out that I put the IDE controller cable on the wrong port. After that, installing Windows was easy. I don't have any sound on it, so that will mean I have to get a new sound card, but I can work with that. I may just need to get a generic driver for the Multimedia sound system. I have to look for that. After I get my next paycheck on the 14th, I'll get the Anti-Virus and then hook it up to the net. Don't want to do that in the inverse order or I might have the same problem I have had before. I think half the problems I have with the system I am on now is that its memory is too small and/or it has a virus.

I've named it AL-9000. I remember that was a running gag through a parody of 2001 on an Animaniacs episode. The finally found Al Gore in the computer. It was a toss up between that and Michigan J. Frog. I might change it to the Frog later. Right now I just want to get the system working.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Hey. Instead of buying anti-virus, why don't you just use a free one? I use AntiVir Personal Edition on one of my computers and AVG Free on the other. Both are legitimately free for personal use.

Also, there are at least a couple of good free firewalls: Comodo is one (I'm using it on one of my PCs), and the name of the other one escapes me, sorry!

About Me

My photo
I am interested in CNG vehicles because they are good for the environment and aren't powered by dead Marines. I still have a little hope for the world. Read the musings and enjoy.