Wednesday, July 23, 2008

God Bless the Firefighters

You may have heard about this incident a few days ago here in the St. Louis area.


A young firefighter-paramedic, Ryan Hummert arrived at the scene. Ryan never got a chance to save a life that day. He was killed before he could do anything. Two officers were also gunned down, one a former school resources officer, well liked by the children he had worked with.

This occurred just blocks away from where I work. Many of the officers, firefighters, and paramedics I work with each day responded to this incident. I never met Ryan. At least I don't remember if I did. Our mall is surrounded by many communities which, when we call, all respond to help us in our times of need.

I ask that you pray for Ryan's family at this difficult time. His father had been Mayor of Maplewood and his son followed in his footsteps in service to the community. Such is the unexpected life of a first responder. You never know what will happen. You just have to keep going and hope that what you do will help.

It is believed that the owner of the house where the shots came from, 52 year-old Mark Knobbe, died in his house after setting it on fire. Human remains, now positively identified as Knobbe were recovered, alone with the remnants of three long guns. Knobbe had been estranged from his family and was a neighborhood recluse. No one knows what happened to set him on his course that day. We only know he did do it and now we have lost a good man.

Remember a firefighter in your prayers today.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am interested in CNG vehicles because they are good for the environment and aren't powered by dead Marines. I still have a little hope for the world. Read the musings and enjoy.

Blog Archive