Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Warrior-Poet.

I watched "Elizabeth, the Golden Age" tonight and I was compelled to research the era. I know the movie isn't exaclty acurate historically, but I liked the first movie and to me Cate Blanchet is the definitive Elizabeth. I looked at Sir Walter Raleigh and his contributions were exagerated by the movie because Drake was in command of the fleet. He married the Queen's favorite Lady-in-waiting and although the marriage wasn't sanctioned, his exploits in defeating the Spanish Armada eventually won him the Queen's favor. I read he was a poet and her with is one of Raleigh's most famous poems.


The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd

If all the world and love were young,
And truth in every shepherd's tongue,
These pretty pleasures might me move
To live with thee and be thy love.

Time drives the flocks from field to fold
When rivers rage and rocks grow cold,
And Philomel becometh dumb;
The rest complains of cares to come.

The flowers do fade, and wanton fields
To wayward winter reckoning yields;
A honey tongue, a heart of gall,
Is fancy's spring, but sorrow's fall,

Thy gowns, thy shoes, thy beds of roses,
Thy cap, thy kirtle, and thy posies
Soon break, soon wither, soon forgotten--
In folly ripe, in reason rotten.

Thy belt of straw and ivy buds,
Thy coral clasps and amber studs,
All these in me no means can move
To come to thee and be thy love.

But could youth last and love still breed,
Had joys no date nor age no need,
Then these delights my mind might move
To live with thee and be thy love.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nymph%27s_Reply_to_the_Shepherd"

This page was last modified on 27 January 2008, at 08:28. All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License. (See Copyrights for details.)
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a U.S. registered 501(c)(3) tax-deductible nonprofit charity.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am interested in CNG vehicles because they are good for the environment and aren't powered by dead Marines. I still have a little hope for the world. Read the musings and enjoy.

Blog Archive