|A Closer Look at the Previously Unseen Side |
Release Date: January 28, 2008
Two weeks ago, on January 14, 2008, MESSENGER became the first spacecraft to see the side of Mercury shown in this image. The first image transmitted back to Earth following the flyby of Mercury, and then released to the web within hours, shows the historic first look at the previously unseen side. This image, taken by the Wide Angle Camera (WAC) of the Mercury Dual Imaging System (MDIS), shows a closer view of much of that territory.
Just above and to the left of center of this image is a small crater with a pronounced set of bright rays extending across Mercury's surface away from the crater. Bright rays are commonly made in a crater-forming explosion when an asteroid strikes the surface of an airless body like the Moon or Mercury. But rays fade with time as tiny meteoroids and particles from the solar wind strike the surface and darken the rays. The prominence of these rays implies that the small crater at the center of the ray pattern formed comparatively recently.
This image is one in a planned set of 99. Nine different views of Mercury were snapped in this set to create a mosaic pattern with images in 3 rows and 3 columns. The WAC is equipped with 11 narrow-band color filters, and each of the 9 different views was acquired through all 11 filters. This image was taken in filter 7, which is sensitive to light near the red end of the visible spectrum (750 nm), and shows features as small as about 6 kilometers (4 miles) in size. The MESSENGER team is studying this previously unseen side of Mercury in detail to map and identify new geologic features and to construct the planet’s geological history.
Mission Elapsed Time (MET) of image: 108827618
Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Carnegie Institution of Washington
Monday, January 28, 2008
A Closer Look at the Previously Unseen Side
- ► 2010 (104)
- ► 2009 (99)
- When I was in Texas, they called me a Yankee....
- As you can see....
- From Foreign Policy - 7 Questions: Planning for a...
- From Foreigh Policy - The 10 Commandments of Pundi...
- From Foreign Policy - Downloading: Punishable by ...
- From Foreign Policy - Is "Canadian" the new n-word...
- Reminder - MESSENGER Hi-Resolution Photos and Vide...
- Mercury's Violent History
- Mercury - Double Ring Crater
- Mercury - The Great Caloris Basin on Mercury
- Mercury - Topographic Close-up
- Mercury Surface Spectra
- Seeking Information on Mercury’s Mineralogy
- Mercury’s Hydrogen Tail
- Mercury’s Internal Magnetic field
- For those Ann Coulter fans out there
- Now you just know I had to post this one....
- Chemtrails anyone? From Foreign Policy
- From Foreign Policy: How to Steal An Election Wit...
- The Shameful State of the Union.....
- Mercury Shows Its True Colors
- “The Spider” – Radial Troughs within Caloris
- First Laser Altimetry for Mercury
- MESSENGER Mission News - 30 January 2008
- MESSENGER Mission News - 29 January 2008
- MESSENGER's Departing Shots
- I love Winter.
- A Closer Look at the Previously Unseen Side
- Mercury's Long Cliffs
- MESSENGER Looks to the North
- Picture perfect - Forest Park, St. Louis
- MESSENGER Mission News
- MESSENGER's Different Views
- Bone CHilling Cold
- Counting Mercury's Craters
- BBC - Paradise in Peril - King Tide Diary
- MESSENGER Dances by Matisse
- First MESSENGER Spectrum of Mercury
- Mercury - in Color!
- The Dick Cheney one is PRICELESS
- Is today the worst day of the year?
- Looking Toward the South Pole of Mercury
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 21, 2008
- News from your bartender.
- Ridges and Cliffs on Mercury's Surface
- MESSENGER Views an Intriguing Crater
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 20. 2008
- First Results from the Mercury Laser Altimeter
- MESSENGER’s First Image after Closest Approach
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 19, 2008
- Another in honor of Martin
- An Overview of Mercury as MISSENGER Approached
- Mercury's Complex Cratering History
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 18, 2008
- MESSENGER Views Mercury’s Horizon
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 17, 2008
- MESSENGER Reveals Mercury's Geological History - R...
- Corporations are EVIL
- MESSENGER Reveals Mercury in New Detail
- Detailed Close-up of Mercury's Previously Unseen S...
- Mercury's Cratered Surface
- How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to pow...
- MESSENGER’s First Look at Mercury’s Previously Uns...
- MESSENGER Mission News - The Unseen Side Revealed-...
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 15, 2008
- In Honor of Martin.....
- 31 Similarties Between Hitler and President Bush
- Keeping a Rendezvous with Mercury
- Installing Husband 1.0
- Disney Humor - R rated
- Cthulhu is running for President.
- MESSENGER Mission News (Post Flyby Update)
- Today MESSENGER Flies by Mercury!
- MESSENGER Mission News January 13, 2008
- MESSENGER News from CBS
- MESSENGER News from CBS
- MESSENGER Mission News - The Calm Before CLose App...
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 11, 2008
- Atlantis STS-122 Status Report - 2008 - 11 - 08, 1...
- Life in the City January 11, 2008
- MESSENGER First Picture!
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01 - 09
- Atlantis STS-122 Status Report - 2008 - 01- 08 15:...
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01 - 08
- Storm comming in.
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01-07
- Friday 5 Time Travel.
- Busy day.
- Atlantis STS-122 Launch Status Report - 19:45 EST...
- Just a couple more toons....
- From the Editorial Desk.....
- Wish list for 2008
- My favorite Quotes.
- Benson, its your turn now.....
- Niven's Laws.
- ▼ January (95)