|Ridges and Cliffs on Mercury's Surface |
Release Date: January 20, 2008
A complex history of geological evolution is recorded in this frame from the Narrow Angle Camera (NAC), part of the Mercury Dual Imaging System (MDIS) instrument, taken during MESSENGER’s close flyby of Mercury on January 14, 2008. Part of an old, large crater occupies most of the lower left portion of the frame. An arrangement of ridges and cliffs in the shape of a "Y" crosses the crater’s floor. The shadows defining the ridges are cast on the floor of the crater by the Sun shining from the right, indicating a descending stair-step of plains. The main, right-hand branch of the "Y" crosses the crater floor, the crater rim, and continues off the top edge of the picture; it appears to be a classic “lobate scarp” (irregularly shaped cliff) common in all areas of Mercury imaged so far. These lobate scarps were formed during a period when Mercury’s crust was contracting as the planet cooled. In contrast, the branch of the Y to the left ends at the crater rim and is restricted to the floor of the crater. Both it and the lighter-colored ridge that extends downward from it resemble “wrinkle ridges” that are common on the large volcanic plains, or "maria," on the Moon. The MESSENGER science team is studying what features like these reveal about the interior cooling history of Mercury.
Ghostly remnants of a few craters are seen on the right side of this image, possibly indicating that once-pristine, bowl-shaped craters (like those on the large crater’s floor) have been subsequently flooded by volcanism or some other plains-forming process.
This image was taken 18 minutes after close approach, when MESSENGER was about 5,000 kilometers (about 3,000 miles) away from Mercury. The image is about 200 kilometers (about 125 miles) across, and features as small as about 400 meters (about 400 yards) can be resolved.
Mission Elapsed Time (MET) of image: 108825904
Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Carnegie Institution of Washington
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Ridges and Cliffs on Mercury's Surface
- ► 2010 (104)
- ► 2009 (99)
- When I was in Texas, they called me a Yankee....
- As you can see....
- From Foreign Policy - 7 Questions: Planning for a...
- From Foreigh Policy - The 10 Commandments of Pundi...
- From Foreign Policy - Downloading: Punishable by ...
- From Foreign Policy - Is "Canadian" the new n-word...
- Reminder - MESSENGER Hi-Resolution Photos and Vide...
- Mercury's Violent History
- Mercury - Double Ring Crater
- Mercury - The Great Caloris Basin on Mercury
- Mercury - Topographic Close-up
- Mercury Surface Spectra
- Seeking Information on Mercury’s Mineralogy
- Mercury’s Hydrogen Tail
- Mercury’s Internal Magnetic field
- For those Ann Coulter fans out there
- Now you just know I had to post this one....
- Chemtrails anyone? From Foreign Policy
- From Foreign Policy: How to Steal An Election Wit...
- The Shameful State of the Union.....
- Mercury Shows Its True Colors
- “The Spider” – Radial Troughs within Caloris
- First Laser Altimetry for Mercury
- MESSENGER Mission News - 30 January 2008
- MESSENGER Mission News - 29 January 2008
- MESSENGER's Departing Shots
- I love Winter.
- A Closer Look at the Previously Unseen Side
- Mercury's Long Cliffs
- MESSENGER Looks to the North
- Picture perfect - Forest Park, St. Louis
- MESSENGER Mission News
- MESSENGER's Different Views
- Bone CHilling Cold
- Counting Mercury's Craters
- BBC - Paradise in Peril - King Tide Diary
- MESSENGER Dances by Matisse
- First MESSENGER Spectrum of Mercury
- Mercury - in Color!
- The Dick Cheney one is PRICELESS
- Is today the worst day of the year?
- Looking Toward the South Pole of Mercury
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 21, 2008
- News from your bartender.
- Ridges and Cliffs on Mercury's Surface
- MESSENGER Views an Intriguing Crater
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 20. 2008
- First Results from the Mercury Laser Altimeter
- MESSENGER’s First Image after Closest Approach
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 19, 2008
- Another in honor of Martin
- An Overview of Mercury as MISSENGER Approached
- Mercury's Complex Cratering History
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 18, 2008
- MESSENGER Views Mercury’s Horizon
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 17, 2008
- MESSENGER Reveals Mercury's Geological History - R...
- Corporations are EVIL
- MESSENGER Reveals Mercury in New Detail
- Detailed Close-up of Mercury's Previously Unseen S...
- Mercury's Cratered Surface
- How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to pow...
- MESSENGER’s First Look at Mercury’s Previously Uns...
- MESSENGER Mission News - The Unseen Side Revealed-...
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 15, 2008
- In Honor of Martin.....
- 31 Similarties Between Hitler and President Bush
- Keeping a Rendezvous with Mercury
- Installing Husband 1.0
- Disney Humor - R rated
- Cthulhu is running for President.
- MESSENGER Mission News (Post Flyby Update)
- Today MESSENGER Flies by Mercury!
- MESSENGER Mission News January 13, 2008
- MESSENGER News from CBS
- MESSENGER News from CBS
- MESSENGER Mission News - The Calm Before CLose App...
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 11, 2008
- Atlantis STS-122 Status Report - 2008 - 11 - 08, 1...
- Life in the City January 11, 2008
- MESSENGER First Picture!
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01 - 09
- Atlantis STS-122 Status Report - 2008 - 01- 08 15:...
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01 - 08
- Storm comming in.
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01-07
- Friday 5 Time Travel.
- Busy day.
- Atlantis STS-122 Launch Status Report - 19:45 EST...
- Just a couple more toons....
- From the Editorial Desk.....
- Wish list for 2008
- My favorite Quotes.
- Benson, its your turn now.....
- Niven's Laws.
- ▼ January (95)