|An Overview of Mercury as MESSENGER Approached |
Release Date: January 18, 2008
As MESSENGER neared Mercury on January 14, 2008, the spacecraft’s Wide Angle Camera on the Mercury Dual Imaging System (MDIS) took images of the planet through each of its 11 filters. This image of the planet’s full crescent was taken using the 7th filter, in light near the far-red end of the visible spectrum (750 nm). The image shows portions of Mercury previously seen by Mariner 10, but when Mariner 10 flew by the planet at each of its encounters the Sun was nearly overhead. For this MESSENGER flyby, in contrast, the Sun is shining obliquely on regions near the day/night boundary (called the terminator) on the right-hand side of the crescent, revealing the surface topography in sharp relief. This image illustrates how MESSENGER, during its future flybys and subsequent orbital mission, will teach us much about the portion of Mercury already imaged by Mariner 10, and not just because of its superior camera and close proximity to the planet. The solar lighting geometry makes an enormous difference.
This picture provides a global context for the MDIS Narrow Angle Camera (NAC) images taken while MESSENGER was inbound. For example, the NAC image of the crater Vivaldi, released earlier this week, would fit as a small patch on the terminator just above the center of the crescent. The already released image that includes the crater Sholem Aleichem shows a part of Mercury near the top of the crescent. More NAC images of the incoming crescent will be released in the future.
This image was taken about 80 minutes before closest approach from a distance of about 27,000 kilometers (17,000 miles) and shows features as small as 10 kilometers (6 miles).
Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Carnegie Institution of Washington
Friday, January 18, 2008
An Overview of Mercury as MISSENGER Approached
- ► 2010 (104)
- ► 2009 (99)
- When I was in Texas, they called me a Yankee....
- As you can see....
- From Foreign Policy - 7 Questions: Planning for a...
- From Foreigh Policy - The 10 Commandments of Pundi...
- From Foreign Policy - Downloading: Punishable by ...
- From Foreign Policy - Is "Canadian" the new n-word...
- Reminder - MESSENGER Hi-Resolution Photos and Vide...
- Mercury's Violent History
- Mercury - Double Ring Crater
- Mercury - The Great Caloris Basin on Mercury
- Mercury - Topographic Close-up
- Mercury Surface Spectra
- Seeking Information on Mercury’s Mineralogy
- Mercury’s Hydrogen Tail
- Mercury’s Internal Magnetic field
- For those Ann Coulter fans out there
- Now you just know I had to post this one....
- Chemtrails anyone? From Foreign Policy
- From Foreign Policy: How to Steal An Election Wit...
- The Shameful State of the Union.....
- Mercury Shows Its True Colors
- “The Spider” – Radial Troughs within Caloris
- First Laser Altimetry for Mercury
- MESSENGER Mission News - 30 January 2008
- MESSENGER Mission News - 29 January 2008
- MESSENGER's Departing Shots
- I love Winter.
- A Closer Look at the Previously Unseen Side
- Mercury's Long Cliffs
- MESSENGER Looks to the North
- Picture perfect - Forest Park, St. Louis
- MESSENGER Mission News
- MESSENGER's Different Views
- Bone CHilling Cold
- Counting Mercury's Craters
- BBC - Paradise in Peril - King Tide Diary
- MESSENGER Dances by Matisse
- First MESSENGER Spectrum of Mercury
- Mercury - in Color!
- The Dick Cheney one is PRICELESS
- Is today the worst day of the year?
- Looking Toward the South Pole of Mercury
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 21, 2008
- News from your bartender.
- Ridges and Cliffs on Mercury's Surface
- MESSENGER Views an Intriguing Crater
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 20. 2008
- First Results from the Mercury Laser Altimeter
- MESSENGER’s First Image after Closest Approach
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 19, 2008
- Another in honor of Martin
- An Overview of Mercury as MISSENGER Approached
- Mercury's Complex Cratering History
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 18, 2008
- MESSENGER Views Mercury’s Horizon
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 17, 2008
- MESSENGER Reveals Mercury's Geological History - R...
- Corporations are EVIL
- MESSENGER Reveals Mercury in New Detail
- Detailed Close-up of Mercury's Previously Unseen S...
- Mercury's Cratered Surface
- How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to pow...
- MESSENGER’s First Look at Mercury’s Previously Uns...
- MESSENGER Mission News - The Unseen Side Revealed-...
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 15, 2008
- In Honor of Martin.....
- 31 Similarties Between Hitler and President Bush
- Keeping a Rendezvous with Mercury
- Installing Husband 1.0
- Disney Humor - R rated
- Cthulhu is running for President.
- MESSENGER Mission News (Post Flyby Update)
- Today MESSENGER Flies by Mercury!
- MESSENGER Mission News January 13, 2008
- MESSENGER News from CBS
- MESSENGER News from CBS
- MESSENGER Mission News - The Calm Before CLose App...
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 11, 2008
- Atlantis STS-122 Status Report - 2008 - 11 - 08, 1...
- Life in the City January 11, 2008
- MESSENGER First Picture!
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01 - 09
- Atlantis STS-122 Status Report - 2008 - 01- 08 15:...
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01 - 08
- Storm comming in.
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01-07
- Friday 5 Time Travel.
- Busy day.
- Atlantis STS-122 Launch Status Report - 19:45 EST...
- Just a couple more toons....
- From the Editorial Desk.....
- Wish list for 2008
- My favorite Quotes.
- Benson, its your turn now.....
- Niven's Laws.
- ▼ January (95)