|MESSENGER's Different Views |
Release Date: January 25, 2008
During MESSENGER's flyby of Mercury on January 14, 2008, part of the planned sequence of observations included taking images of the same portion of Mercury's surface from five different viewing angles. The first view from this sequence was taken just after MESSENGER made its closest approach to Mercury, from a low viewing angle; an image of the first view was released on January 19. The image released here, acquired with the Wide Angle Camera (WAC) on the Mercury Dual Imaging System (MDIS), was snapped 13 minutes after MESSENGER's closest approach with Mercury. The lower two-thirds of this image shows much of the same terrain seen in the first view, but from a much higher viewing angle, as the spacecraft began to pass nearly overhead. At the time of this image, MESSENGER was at a distance of about 3000 kilometers (about 2000 miles) from Mercury.
A comparison of the images taken at different viewing angles provides important information about the properties of the materials that make up Mercury's surface. In addition, each view was taken through all 11 of the WAC's narrow-band color filters. The image shown here is from filter 7, which is sensitive to light near the red end of the visible spectrum (750 nm). The MESSENGER team is working to compare these images taken from different perspectives and in different colors to understand surface properties on Mercury. In addition, knowledge of the variation of image properties with viewing angle in this region will permit a more confident comparison of images of other portions of the surface taken at different illumination and viewing angles.
This image is about 1000 kilometers (about 600 miles) across.
Image Mission Elapsed Time (MET): 108825632
Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Carnegie Institution of Washington
Friday, January 25, 2008
MESSENGER's Different Views
- ► 2010 (104)
- ► 2009 (99)
- When I was in Texas, they called me a Yankee....
- As you can see....
- From Foreign Policy - 7 Questions: Planning for a...
- From Foreigh Policy - The 10 Commandments of Pundi...
- From Foreign Policy - Downloading: Punishable by ...
- From Foreign Policy - Is "Canadian" the new n-word...
- Reminder - MESSENGER Hi-Resolution Photos and Vide...
- Mercury's Violent History
- Mercury - Double Ring Crater
- Mercury - The Great Caloris Basin on Mercury
- Mercury - Topographic Close-up
- Mercury Surface Spectra
- Seeking Information on Mercury’s Mineralogy
- Mercury’s Hydrogen Tail
- Mercury’s Internal Magnetic field
- For those Ann Coulter fans out there
- Now you just know I had to post this one....
- Chemtrails anyone? From Foreign Policy
- From Foreign Policy: How to Steal An Election Wit...
- The Shameful State of the Union.....
- Mercury Shows Its True Colors
- “The Spider” – Radial Troughs within Caloris
- First Laser Altimetry for Mercury
- MESSENGER Mission News - 30 January 2008
- MESSENGER Mission News - 29 January 2008
- MESSENGER's Departing Shots
- I love Winter.
- A Closer Look at the Previously Unseen Side
- Mercury's Long Cliffs
- MESSENGER Looks to the North
- Picture perfect - Forest Park, St. Louis
- MESSENGER Mission News
- MESSENGER's Different Views
- Bone CHilling Cold
- Counting Mercury's Craters
- BBC - Paradise in Peril - King Tide Diary
- MESSENGER Dances by Matisse
- First MESSENGER Spectrum of Mercury
- Mercury - in Color!
- The Dick Cheney one is PRICELESS
- Is today the worst day of the year?
- Looking Toward the South Pole of Mercury
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 21, 2008
- News from your bartender.
- Ridges and Cliffs on Mercury's Surface
- MESSENGER Views an Intriguing Crater
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 20. 2008
- First Results from the Mercury Laser Altimeter
- MESSENGER’s First Image after Closest Approach
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 19, 2008
- Another in honor of Martin
- An Overview of Mercury as MISSENGER Approached
- Mercury's Complex Cratering History
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 18, 2008
- MESSENGER Views Mercury’s Horizon
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 17, 2008
- MESSENGER Reveals Mercury's Geological History - R...
- Corporations are EVIL
- MESSENGER Reveals Mercury in New Detail
- Detailed Close-up of Mercury's Previously Unseen S...
- Mercury's Cratered Surface
- How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to pow...
- MESSENGER’s First Look at Mercury’s Previously Uns...
- MESSENGER Mission News - The Unseen Side Revealed-...
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 15, 2008
- In Honor of Martin.....
- 31 Similarties Between Hitler and President Bush
- Keeping a Rendezvous with Mercury
- Installing Husband 1.0
- Disney Humor - R rated
- Cthulhu is running for President.
- MESSENGER Mission News (Post Flyby Update)
- Today MESSENGER Flies by Mercury!
- MESSENGER Mission News January 13, 2008
- MESSENGER News from CBS
- MESSENGER News from CBS
- MESSENGER Mission News - The Calm Before CLose App...
- MESSENGER Mission News - January 11, 2008
- Atlantis STS-122 Status Report - 2008 - 11 - 08, 1...
- Life in the City January 11, 2008
- MESSENGER First Picture!
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01 - 09
- Atlantis STS-122 Status Report - 2008 - 01- 08 15:...
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01 - 08
- Storm comming in.
- MESSENGER Mission News 2008 - 01-07
- Friday 5 Time Travel.
- Busy day.
- Atlantis STS-122 Launch Status Report - 19:45 EST...
- Just a couple more toons....
- From the Editorial Desk.....
- Wish list for 2008
- My favorite Quotes.
- Benson, its your turn now.....
- Niven's Laws.
- ▼ January (95)